Wednesday 16 February 2011

Threadless, take 2

So if your reading my blog you should know by now about how much I enjoy t-shirt design just doodling a character and slapping it on a tee ( theres a lot more thought than that, but that shortens my typing). The goal at the moment is to get my foot in the door at threadless, a community of tee designers who vote on one an others designs with the ultimate goal of going to print and to sale.




This isn't my first submission to threadless, I was crushed a few weeks back when my Muffin tee idea didn't make it to scoring. Personally its my most favourite design I've done, but they think it needs work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
So having been knocked back by that I began work on another tee, "8-BIT hero", this was initially part of a uni project and the character has basically grown more than he was ever designed to. 
I considered the placement a lot more on this design and really wanted to get it right.
It took about 3 days between submitting it but the finally approved it, I was at the scoring stage! the hard thing about promoting it is that you need a threadless account to vote, and when asking my fellow designers to vote, few could be bothered with the hassle.

2 days into voting it had an average rating of about 1.65 out of 5, which isn't great, at this point I realised I was being a bit to kind with my voting style and that the community is rather harsh.
Due to the low scoring, 2 days into its 7 day period the design was removed from the running...

Its annoyed me but looking at some of the most successful designers on the site, the proportion of printed designs to that submitted is ridiculous so i will just have to keep trying I suppose......



No comments:

Post a Comment